Friday 1 April 2016

Month in the Movies: March

So March was a very busy month at the movies for me. In the month of March I seen a total of 15 movies in the cinema. I started this segment off last month and only had 5 movies in my list for the month of February. If you missed my post last month explaining this, it is simply me going through the films I seen in the month, ranking them in order depending on a combination of how much I enjoyed the film and how good it was overall. So lets get started!


15. Rock The Kasbah

In last place it is 'Rock The Kasbah'. What a terrible movie this is. How sad it as to see the likes of Bill Murray and Bruce Willis in such a travesty of a film. There aren't really any redeeming factors to this film at all. What was supposed to be a comedy came a boring and forgettable film.

Final verdict: F









14. Truth

'Truth' could've worked almost as well as 'Spotlight' did. Unfortunately the film lacked the interesting plot or characters needed to really care about the film. A total bore the whole way through that could have been so much better,

Final verdict: C-












13. Grimsby

The latest comedy from Sacha Baron Cohen certainly did have its moments that were funny. However a lot of it consisted of gross out humour that wasn't really for me. If you're into that kind of stuff, you'll probably love Grimsby.

Final verdict: C












12. London Has Fallen

Despite not having a lot of substance, London Has Fallen was a fun action movie that wouldn't go amiss in the 80's. Don't go in and expect anything other than just an action film or you'll just be disappointed.

Final verdict: C











11. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

The biggest film of the year so far hit the big screen but not in an entirely positive way. A boring start along with some terrible plot holes and writing made Batman v Superman a disappointment. Ben Affleck as Batman was phenomenal along with some good action elevates the status of the film a little.

Final verdict: C











10. High Rise

One of the most disappointing films of the year so far for me. A brilliant performance from Tim Hiddleston and impressive visuals couldn't cover up that High Rise was a huge mess. A very confusing film with so much going on with little explanation.

Final verdict: C+












9. Hail Caesar!

The most underwhelming film I've seen so far this year. Despite what could have been an interesting story, the film couldn't decide on what it wanted to do. However some impressive performances from the ensemble cast and an enjoyable look into Hollywood did save the Coen Brothers flick a little.

Final verdict: C+











8. Triple 9

Another ensemble cast in the month of March that did work very well with stand out performances from Anthony Mackie and Casey Affleck. It does slow down at times but one of the most tension filled movies I've seen so far this year.


Final verdict: B-










7. Kung Fu Panda 3

Making it a trilogy, Kung Fu Panda still had the heart and high quality entertainment from the first. More for kids than adults but still very entertaining. Some great new additions to the franchise in Bryan Cranston and J.K Simmons.


Final verdict: B












6. Anomalisa

Perhaps the most surprising movie I have seen this year due to me not knowing anything about the film before seeing it. I didn't expect 90 minutes of genius from a stop motion film with a lot of adult humour within it.


Final verdict: B+









5. Eddie The Eagle

The latest sports comedy starring Taron Egerton and Hugh Jackman was fantastic. Incredibly funny and very inspiring as Eddie the Eagle soars to fifth spot in my list for the movies of March.

Final verdict: B+











4. 10 Cloverfield Lane

Third in my list is the blood relative to 'Cloverfield'. Not the sequel we imagined but a tremendous film nevertheless. Fantastic performances along with an interesting story with many twists and turns, 10 Cloverfield Lane is up there with some of my favourite movies of the year so far.


Final verdict: B+









3. The Witch

I don't usually like horrors but boy was 'The Witch' great. A great story with a lot of creepiness worked very well together. Some fantastic acting from those involved as well made this horror stand out from the others for me.


Final verdict: A-





2. Zootropolis

Disney's latest film is truly magnificent and suitable for all ages. Incredibly deep and funny, Zootropolis is a must see for everybody and is one of Disney's best in recent years. A magnificent film with a lot of heart and is thoroughly entertaining.

Final verdict: A









And my number 1 movie of March goes to.........











1. Room

The most powerful film I have seen so far this year. Brilliant performances from Best Actress winner Brie Larson and co star Jacob Tremblay. A heart breaking story at first that grabs your attention from start to finish. One of the best films of recent times for sure and a must see for everybody. Luckily I caught the last available screening for this film and I absolutely loved it! The film did come out way before March but it counts as it was in March when I finally seen it.


Final verdict: A+






So that concludes my list for the movies I seen in March. It was a pretty mixed month with some highly disappointing films as well as some contenders for my top 10 of the entire year! Lets hope for some more crackers in April.  So what do you think of my list? Also what have you seen in the past month and what were your most and least favourites? Once again thank you for reading, it is much appreciated!

By Angus McGregor

No comments:

Post a Comment