Monday 2 May 2016

Month in the Movies: April



April was another busy month for myself at the movies, with myself being able to see 11 new films at the cinema. If you aren't sure what this post is about, each month I look back at the movies I seen in that month and rank them based on a combination of how good the movie was and how much I enjoyed it.  Now that's been explained, lets get started with the list!



11. Jane Got A Gun

What could of been a great time to build a great female character, Jane Got A Gun really failed to capitalise on its concept. The film also doesn't use its strong cast to their full capability in what was a drawn out western.

Final Verdict = C










10. Midnight Special

A highly anticipated movie for me that turned out to be quite meh. Very slow paced with not a lot happening and then a very bizarre ending didn't quite connect with me as I hoped it did. The same goes with the impressive cast which was a big part of making me excited for this film. For me one of the biggest disappointments of the year so far. 

Final Verdict = C











9. Hardcore Henry

The first person action movie was fairly entertaining at times and did feature some very impressive work. However the style does get old after a while and really does lose its effect. A poor ending as well contributed to its downfall. The reason it is higher than Midnight Special and Jane Got A Gun is due to enjoyment of the film with some great action as well as fantastic work from Sharlto Copley.

Final Verdict = C

Check out my review for Hardcore Henry here










8. Huntsman: Winters War

I definitely feel I'm in the minority when it comes to this film. I had a good time with this one and I feel this was quite a lot down to the cast. Emily Blunt and Jessica Chastain delivered with Nick Frost bringing in the humour in which most others have heavily criticised. It's not a masterpiece but I feel there's definitely enjoyment in this film.

Final Verdict = C+










7. Friend Request

I went into this film thinking it was going to be complete garbage. However I can say that I was pleasantly surprised. A good lead along with a new take on witchcraft lead to some creepy scenes throughout. The film undoubtedly could've been better if it had not used so many loud noises for scares.

Final Verdict = C+












6. Bastille Day

Idris Elba's James Bond audition went very well and has cemented himself as a main contender to be the next 007. A highlight of the film also featured his charisma and chemistry with co-star Richard Madden made for some very funny moments. Some nice action scenes as well made Bastille Day a pleasant viewing.

Final Verdict = B-











5. Miles Ahead

A very interesting look at a famous musicians life in what was lead actor Don Cheadle's directorial debut. An impressive debut to say the least with some good work from co star Ewan McGregor. The film slows down at parts which gets in the way of it being a great film. However Miles Ahead is worth checking out for sure!

Final Verdict = B

Check out my review of Miles Ahead here










4. The Jungle Book

The live adaptation of The Jungle Book was a huge success with possibly the most impressive uses of CGI in film history. That wasn't the only good thing about the film with the stellar cast putting in wonderful performances in each of their voice acting. This film may of convinced me that these live action films might be a good idea and well worth my time.

Final Verdict = B











3. Green Room

This indie horror-thriller is one of the surprises of the year for me so far. This incredibly dark film is full of suspense throughout the run time and has you gripped. Anton Yelchin and Imogen Poots bring some fun to the film with Patrick Stewart leading the sinister villains as it balances tones incredibly well. Well worth checking out, I was fortunate enough to see a pre screening for this great film!

Final Verdict = B+










2. Eye In The Sky

Eye In The Sky is possibly the best thriller of the year. Morally complex to the core and full of dilemma's, this movie will most definitely create discussion to those who watch it. A fantastic cast really deliver in what is a thrill ride from start to finish. One of my favourite movies of the year and one that I have seen twice in the cinema!

Final Verdict = A-












And my number one movie in April is...........









1. Captain America: Civil War

My most anticipated movie of the year did not disappoint me at all. Marvel once again nailed it with one of their most stacked movies to date. I had a great time with this film due to the great action, good story and the fantastic characters both old and new. Phase 3 has got off to a great start and Marvel have distanced themselves even further from their closest rivals. This will definitely be up there at the end of the year amongst my favourites. 

Final Verdict = A







So that's all the movies I seen at the cinema in April, how many of them did you see? Also what was your favourite movie that you seen last month? Once again thank you for reading this blog post, it is much appreciated!

By Angus McGregor

No comments:

Post a Comment