Sunday 4 September 2016

Month in the Movies: August


Summer movie season is now finished and it has been very... meh. The blockbusters really didn't deliver in what was a disappointing summer season overall. However, August saw a better return at the movies for me as I enjoyed a lot more than I dislike and thought were average for the first time in months. The end month showed promise that will hopefully carry on into the fall. I was lucky enough to see 14 movies this month in what was a very mixed month.

If you aren't aware of this series, I pretty much go through the month and rank the movies that I saw that month based on a combination of quality and how much I enjoyed the film. So lets get into the list!


14. Nine Lives

Ugh. It really hurts me that I have to think about this movie again. One of the worst of the entire year. Not funny in the slightest with a terrible story. To Kevin Spacey, please make better decisions in the future. To everyone involved. You're much better than this.


Final Verdict = F










13. Bad Moms

Some people like this comedy. Unfortunately, I did not get the same experience in what added to the list of disappointing comedies this year. Mila Kunis does fairly well but I feel that she was let down by the rest of the cast. Every character seemed to be absolutely terrible people and with no laughs, that makes an unenjoyable viewing. I won't be rushing to see this again anytime soon or ever.


Final Verdict = D








12. Suicide Squad

Perhaps the biggest disappointment of the year for me. I really rooted for this movie but it just flopped. Not as fun as I hoped as the film disappointed on many fronts, especially with how they used the Joker. Margot Robbie, Viola Davis and Will Smith were highlights of the film but not enough to save this one. It also brought us one of the most comic book villains on the big screen with the Enchantress who was terrible in this movie. DC went two for two this year, unfortunately both failing in quality.


Final Verdict = C-








11. Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates

This film is perfect for you if you love raunchy comedies. However it didn't quite hit for me but that doesn't mean that it isn't funny. It has its moments and the four main characters do fairy well in their roles, especially Anna Kendrick and Zac Efron. Not the best comedy of the year but definitely not the worst either.


Final Verdict = C








10. The Purge: Election Year

If you had told me at the start of the year that I would prefer 'The Purge: Election Year' to 'Suicide Squad', I would have laughed and also feel a little sad. Yet that's what I found this month as 'The Purge' seemed to deliver more on the chaos side of things that it had promised in the first two. The best of the franchise but still not a masterpiece. I found this to be an enjoyable viewing as the film didn't take itself too serious.


Final Verdict = C








9. Pete's Dragon

Up next is the remake of 'Pete's Dragon'. The film featured great performances from all of the cast with Karl Urban really standing out for me. I wish that there was more of an adventure to this movie which would have made it much more fun but it didn't really deliver as well as I had hoped. However the film is still enjoyable as it was my first exposure to the story of 'Pete's Dragon'.


Final Verdict = B









8. Finding Dory

Sadly, I was fairly disappointed with 'Finding Dory'. I don't know if it was due to the quality of 'Nemo' or just Pixar films in general but 'Finding Dory' just seemed to be lacking that special something. One of the biggest problems I felt was with the new supporting characters who weren't nearly as good as the ones in 'Nemo'. In saying that, this is far from a bad movie and is a fairly fun family movie that you will still enjoy to an extent. A beautiful looking film as well which we have come to expect from Pixar.


Final Verdict = B






7. War Dogs

If the quality of 'War Dogs' was the same as the quality of performance from its two leads, it would probably be number 1 on this list. Jonah Hill in particular is magnificent and the film is worth seeing for his performance alone. A fairly interesting premise with some good humour does create an enjoyable viewing. Some minor problems do hinder the film such as the character of Iz but nothing that massively impacts the quality of the film.


Final Verdict = B







6. The Shallows

The second best shark movie after Jaws I like to call it, not that there is much going up against it. 'The Shallows' was a very enjoyable, tense film that kept your attention for its shorter run time of 97 minutes. Blake Lively was excellent in her role which had her on her lonesome for a lot of the movie. I was looking forward to this one and was impressed with this survival movie which I feel really delivered.


Final Verdict = B








5. Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping

The Lonely Island did a phenomenal job with 'Popstar' as they created one of the best comedies of the year. With Jorma Taccone and Akiva Schaffer directing and Andy Samberg starring, you could see their comedy style throughout the movie. The mockumentary was incredibly funny but a bit inconsistent at times. The humour isn't at the same level the whole way through but there is plenty to enjoy with this one.


Final Verdict = B









4. Sausage Party

Perhaps the most anticipated comedy of the year is finally here and 'Sausage Party' delivered the goods. Wickedly funny despite some jokes and puns feeling lazy and repetitive. This has opened the door for more animated adult comedies and if they can follow in the footsteps of 'Sausage Party', I am all for it. The film also carries a deeper message that surprised me a lot as it handled a serious situation and commented on it incredibly well. The final act is completely bonkers as well so be ready for that if you choose to see it.


Final Verdict = B






3. Nerve

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this movie and I did so much that I went to see it for a second time. 'Nerve' is a very fun movie as it starts with some harmless dares as Emma Roberts and Dave Franco compete together. The pair show great chemistry together and I really enjoyed their performances. Despite the fun of it, the movie is scarily realistic with how people on the internet act and it actually doesn't seem as far fetched as you'd think. It does then progress to become very tense and has you on the edge of your seat. One of my favourites of the summer.


Final Verdict = B+






2. Lights Out

I've been really impressed with the horror movies in 2016 and 'Lights Out' is up there with the best. A great premise based on the short film created by David Sandberg who got to direct the feature length version. Scary and tense throughout as 'Lights Out' fully delivered for me as I really enjoyed this movie. The performances in this were great especially Maria Bello who played the unhinged mother. The effects were also incredible throughout the film as 'Lights Out' really impressed me.


Final Verdict = B+















And my number 1 movie in the month of August is...........









1. Swallows and Amazons

I never expected this to be my number 1 movie of the month when  went to see this. However 'Swallows and Amazons' is the best family movie of the summer and I was really impressed.  A great British adventure film full of heart which I am surprised that I enjoyed so much. The film captures the family aspects incredibly well as we see moments that we can all relate to. There is also a spy aspect thrown in that works well and also makes it a more enjoyable viewing for those who are a bit older. A very good outing and I am so glad I checked this one out!


Final Verdict = A-





So that concludes my list of the movies that I seen in the month of August! What was your favourite movie of the month as the summer season finished? Once again, thank you for taking the time to read my blog, it is much appreciated!














No comments:

Post a Comment