Thursday 3 January 2019

My 10 Best Movies of 2018!



As mentioned in my 'Worst of the Year' list, I don't feel that 2018 has been that strong compared to other years in recent memory. However, there still has been plenty to enjoy with some cracking films across all genres. This was a tough list to decide as few films really stood head and shoulders above the rest, meaning that there are a lot of honourable mentions. I'm not going to list every single one but here is a handful that just missed out:


A Quiet Place
Cam
I, Tonya
Leave No Trace
Ready Player One
and Widows


These are based on U.K. release dates so keep that in mind whilst reading the top 10 list as well. These are the films that impacted me or that I just enjoyed generally the most in 2018. Without further ado, here are my top 10 movies of 2018!





10.

Related image

I went into Overlord fairly blind, only having seen the poster but no trailers. It had been described to me as a Nazi zombie film so I was curious to see it but didn't have high expectations due to many telling me of its B movie nature. But it is a film that deserves so much more respect than that and has so much quality on offer that it truly won me over. This is a superb film that crosses three genres, without going overly silly. It has dramatic tension, decent characters who you grow to care for, stakes and great action set pieces. I feel that many would have skipped on this film due to its premise but it is absolutely well worth giving a chance. One of the years big surprises.






9.

Image result for phantom thread poster

In all honesty, Phantom Thread didn't really fill me up with much interest, I can't say the film's plot initially intrigued me in the slightest. But then there was so much praise and of course, the lure of Paul Thomas Anderson and Daniel Day-Lewis that I just had to see it. And it was truly magnificent from start to finish, deservedly being a mainstay during 2018's award season. This is an excellently crafted film, with some of the best characters in recent years and fantastic performances - Vicky Krieps deserved better. A great addition to the fine repertoire of Anderson as he knocked it out of the park with this unbelievably charming and touching film.






8.

Image result for hereditary poster

Ari Aster's directorial debut had me excited months before its release with the buzz surrounding Hereditary. I have to admit that I am certainly a bit of an A24 fanboy and a polarising horror movie will always get me excited so I was unbelievably relieved that this film delivered. Creepy from start to finish with amazing performances from Collette and Wolff, this is a film that constantly got under my skin with a story that shocked me at every turn. I was captivated by this film which I feel is one of the best directorial debuts in recent years and one I know I'll return to many times again.






7.

 Related image

I'm a big fan of coming of age films which made me extremely excited to see Lady Bird, despite it seeming to be the last of the award contenders to be released in the U.K. This film was a pure joy to watch, with a great lead performance from Saoirse Ronan in the titular role. A complete blast with life lessons and emotional moments, none more so than the car journeys with Laurie Metcalf's character. Perfectly paced, this is a film that will be rewatched constantly with ease, bringing a great viewing each time with great drama and humour.






6.


As a fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Avengers: Infinity War was my most anticipated film for 2018 as it was the amalgamation of all these characters and stories into one like never before. This was a true spectacle unlike any other I've experienced, with it keeping me guessing at every turn and demanding my attention the whole way through. I'm not judging this film by what is seemingly going to happen in the next film, just by what the Russo's did in this part. With a task that seemed impossible, they nailed it by managing to give each character a great moment and a purpose. This is the film on this list I'll rewatch the most and with good reason. All those years paid off with something truly spectacular and I can't wait to see what is in store next.






5.

Image result for crazy rich asians movie poster

The biggest shock of the year by far for me, I didn't expect to love Crazy Rich Asians nearly as much as I did. There was a lot of buzz around this film but I was never really itching to see it but this wonderful film surprised the hell out of me. I wouldn't say that this is an overly flashy movie but it is superbly written with great interesting, funny and unique characters who make you care about every situation and scenario. To explore a different culture at the same time helped add a feeling of freshness I had been desiring during the summer. I cannot recommend this film enough, it caught me so off guard and I can't wait to be able to rewatch it again.






4.

Image result for climax poster


A truly bizarre mixture of horror and dance, Climax is unlike any film I have ever seen in my life. This French language film may come off as pretentious - you should know what you're getting from Gaspar Noe - but it had me hooked from the very first minute. With a weird interview process starting the film off with some truly mesmerizing dance numbers, the film grabs your attention as it builds and builds before it explodes about halfway through. From that moment on, it feels as if anything can happen and it isn't far off. This is an extremely effective horror film as realistically this could easily happen and that got under my skin so much. This film left a massive impression on me as a fan of horror, as it provided something I had not quite experienced before. The ending of this film is harrowing and excellently crafted as it draws this nightmare to an end in the most effective way possible.








3.


Pixar absolutely nailed it once again with Coco, a tremendous musical/animated film that fully deserved its Best Animated Feature and Best Original Song Oscars early in 2018. Like CRA early on, it was great to be immersed in a different culture which provided an excellent backdrop for a touching story about personal desire and family. Pixar manages to channel those emotional beats whilst being able to create a thoroughly enjoyable experience for both children and adults. A visual joy with some great catchy tunes, Coco is very deserving of being a part of the Pixar library and is one that will constantly bring joy on rewatches.







2.



The best action movie since Mad Max, Mission: Impossible Fallout is everything you could want from a mainstream blockbuster. Great, fun, charismatic, diverse characters facing memorable villains in superbly shot action scenes packed into 2 and a half hours that fly by with ease. There are so many moments in this film that spring to mind when it's brought up, whether it's Henry Cavill's reloading of his arms, Tom Cruise flying his own helicopter, Vanessa Kirby kicking ass in that scene, Rebecca Ferguson being excellent as usual, I could go on and on. This is an exhilarating movie that if it had some more emotional edge, would really have challenged closer for the number 1 spot. Nonetheless, as a fan of the genre, it was great to see such a well-crafted film by so many talented and dedicated filmmakers. How many other franchises can say at the sixth installment that they are still getting better and better?







1.



From the moment I saw it, I knew The Shape of Water would be my number 1 movie of this year and nothing came close to challenging it for the top spot. On basic plot synopsis, yes this film seems like a strange one. But behind that is a marvelously crafted, beautiful film that explores many different themes whilst creating an unusual romance. A visual masterpiece with my favourite performance from an actress from some time by Sally Hawkins, this film amazed me at every moment. The soundtrack, setting, characters and story all blew me away, I can't really think of a weak point in this film that I rave about constantly whenever people ask what the best film I've seen recently is. This was head and shoulders above everything else in 2018 for me, bringing so much joy and emotion out of me in the three times I saw it in a theatre. Check this film out, it may seem bizarre but it is absolutely wonderful, 2018's masterpiece.





So that rounds out my top 10 films of 2018! There were some great films that are well worth catching up on and I hope you found some on this list that you didn't expect to make it or have intrigued you enough to check out. I hope everybody had a great time over the new year period and are looking forward to more great movies in 2019! Once again, thanks for taking the time to read my post, it is very much appreciated!




No comments:

Post a Comment