Wednesday 2 March 2016

Month in the Movies: February

So February was a pretty great month at the movies for me! The superhero season was kicked off with a bang and I was caught up in the Oscar Buzz. I feel that this may be the best time to now start a new series of posts called 'Month in the Movies'. This series will consist of me going through the films that I have seen in that month and putting them in order depending on 1. how good the movie was and 2. how much I enjoyed it. If I rank a film higher than another which has a higher grade than it, it will most likely be down to the fact that I got more entertainment from the film. I didn't see as many films as I'd hope to have seen in February so the list starts with only 5 but hopefully in the other months it should be longer. 



5. Zoolander 2


I guess that a bad thing about this new series means that I will have to rethink about some of the bad films that I will see in cinemas. Oh well, you can't win them all! That was most certainly the case with Zoolander 2. I am a fan of the original but this sequel just fell flat for me. I didn't find this funny and of course for a comedy, that is a big problem. A film that had great potential considering who were all a part of it. A real disappointment.

Movie Rating = D

Check out my review on Zoolander 2 at http://angusmoviereviews.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/zoolander-2-review.html








4. The Big Short


'The Big Short' is now officially an Oscar winning movie with its recent success picking up the Best Adapted Screenplay award. From the same mind that brought us 'Anchorman' and 'Step Brothers', 'The Big Short' still carries humour that director Tom McCarthy likes to use with it but it is toned down a lot. However I didn't find the film that interesting and was often confusing at times. A decent film but not the best for entertainment value at all. I also don't feel it was deserving of the Oscar it won either. The films star studded cast perform magnificently and do lift this film much higher.

Movie Rating = C










3. Trumbo

Now this was a real toughie for me. I really enjoyed 'Trumbo' and thought it was truly great. I went into this with no clue what to expect and didn't know a single thing about it. All I had seen was the poster. And I was so thrilled with my experience at the cinema with this film. Bryan Cranston was great in a role that he earned a well deserved Oscar nomination. The story overall is very interesting and provides a great insight on an event that actually happened. If you haven't seen 'Trumbo' please do so, you will not regret it. More people need to see this film about this very intriguing man. 

Movie Rating = B

Check out my review for 'Trumbo' here: http://angusmoviereviews.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/trumbo-review.html 








2. Deadpool


It was really tough for me to separate 'Trumbo' and 'Deadpool' and decide who would get the runners up spot. I am a pretty big fan of the Marvel films and enjoy nearly all the movies they have produced in recent years. However Deadpool was so refreshing in a market that will have new superhero movies every couple of months. I got so many laughs out of this and the action was stunning in it. Ryan Reynolds as Wade Wilson/Deadpool is one of the best castings of recent times and worked perfectly well. I am looking forward to the sequel already, a great addition to the X-Men universe. Especially considering what they tried to do to the character previously.

Movie Rating: A-

Check out my review for 'Deadpool' here:
 http://angusmoviereviews.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/deadpool-review.html







1. Spotlight

There was no doubt that this film was going to be my number 1 for this month. Like 'The Big Short', 'Spotlight' is now an Oscar winner. The film scooped up Best Original Screenplay as well as Best Picture. I have more pride from this as it was my pick to win Best Picture which I felt that it deserved. I was pretty bummed out to see Mark Ruffalo lose out on the Best Supporting Actor Oscar as well which I felt he should of won. None of the films here effected me as much as Spotlight and it really hit me hard. A real eye opener about a something very serious and terrifying. Spotlight is most definitely a must see before it finishes it showings in the cinema. A very important film and a deserved winner at the Oscars.

Movie Rating: A

Check out my review for 'Spotlight' here: 



So that concludes my list for the films I have seen in February. If you have seen any of these films, tell me what you thought about them? Also if there is anything you feel that I should check out for March please let me know! Once again thank you for reading, it really means a lot!

By Angus McGregor



No comments:

Post a Comment